A stoppage time equalizer from Rashawn Dally earned Las Vegas Lights FC a point against LA Galaxy II Saturday night at Cashman Field.
Both teams started a bit slowly, and as the game went on it was Lights FC who showed signs of growing into it. The first great chance of the match fell to Las Vegas' Quincy Amarikwa, whose header was blocked off the line by Galaxy II defender Jalen Neal.
After more Las Vegas pressure, Junior Sandoval gave Lights FC a reward for its adventurous play in the 39th minute. Sandoval expertly brought down a long ball with a delicate first touch, then smashed it into the net to put his side ahead.
Los Dos' best chance of the first half fell to Jonathan Perez when a ball trickled through the entire Las Vegas defense. Unmarked from close range, Perez saw his shot tipped over the bar by Lights FC goalkeeper Thomas Olsen.
The Galaxy II eventually found its equalizer in the 71st through a bit of route one soccer, when Augustine Williams latched onto a long ball, out-maneuvered a defender and finished superbly off the far post. The goal was Williams' fourth in three games this season against Las Vegas.
Perez got his goal 10 minutes later to put Los Dos in front. He was in the right place at the right time as the Las Vegas defense failed to clear their lines, and the young midfielder powered in the loose ball.
Dally then dealt a blow to the Galaxy II's playoff hopes with a well-worked late goal, receiving a clever through ball and finishing around the onrushing goalkeeper to level the match at two goals apiece.
LV - Junior Sandoval 39'
LA - Augustine Williams - 71'
LA - Jonathan Perez - 81'
LV - Rashawn Dally - 90' + 3
LA Galaxy II: Abraham Romero; Mauricio Cuevas, Jesus Vazquez, Jalen Neal, Isaac Bawa; Alejandro Alvarado, Adam Saldana, Jonathan Perez, Jorge Hernandez, Adrian Vera; Augustine Williams
Head Coach: Junior Gonzalez
- LA Galaxy II earned a 1-1 draw at Cashman Field vs. Las Vegas Lights FC.
- With the result, LA Galaxy II are now 7-5-2 with 23 points during the 2020 season (3-3-1 at home and 4-2-1 on the road).
- LA galaxy II are 4-2-2 in their previous eight games.
- Head Coach Junior Gonzalez now holds an 14-10-6 record throughout his head coaching tenure with LA Galaxy II.
- LA Galaxy II are in action next on Wednesday, Sept. 30 at home against Orange County SC at Dignity Health Sports Park.
- In the revised USL schedule, the league's clubs will play 263 games over 13 weeks to decide which 16 teams will advance to the 2020 USL Championship Playoffs, which will open in the second weekend of October.
- LA Galaxy II compete in the USL Championship Group B for the revised 2020 campaign alongside the following clubs: San Diego Loyal, Phoenix Rising FC, Las Vegas Lights FC and Orange County SC.
- For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.