LA Galaxy II wrapped up their USL Championship Regular Season campaign on the road against Phoenix Rising FC Saturday night at Casino Arizona Field. Los Dos finish the campaign in second place in Group B standings, clinching a berth in the USL Championship Playoffs.
LA Galaxy II fell to the Group B leaders 4-1 on the road. With the result, Galaxy II finish 8-6-2 with 26 points during the 2020 season (4-3-1 at home and 4-3-1 on the road).
Los Dos jumped on the board first with an early, first-half goal from Augustine Williams in the sixth minute, marking his 13th goal of the campaign this season. He led all Galaxy II players in goals this year and finishes second in USL Championship goalscoring.
Ivan Gutierrez whipped in a perfect cross from the left side to Williams, who headed down the ball from inside the six-yard box past Phoenix’ goalkeeper to give the visitors the lead.
The Group B leaders responded shortly after with a goal from Santiago Moar in the 10th minute of play before doubling their lead prior to halftime behind a goal from Samuel Santon in the 27th minute. In the second half, Phoenix scored twice as Santon and AJ Cochran tallied to make the score 4-1 as Phoenix earned three points on the night.
LA Galaxy II’s USL Championship Playoff match date and time will be confirmed following the conclusion of USL Championship Regular Season play.
LA – Augustine Williams (Assisted by Ivan Gutierrez) 6’
PHO – Santiago Moar 10’
PHO – Samuel Santon 27’
PHO – AJ Cochran 51’
PHO – Samuel Santon 57’
PHO – Darnell King (caution) 12’
LA – Mauricio Cuevas (caution) 28’
LA – Isaac Bawa (caution) 40’
LA – Markus Ferkranus (caution) 74’
LA Galaxy II: Abraham Romero (Anthony Ramos 62’); Mauricio Cuevas, Jesus Vazquez © (Markus Ferkranus 62’), Jalen Neal, Isaac Bawa (Adrian Vera 70’); Alejandro Alvarado Jr., Adrian Gonzales; Jonathan Perez (Victor Valdez 45’), Jorge Hernandez, Ivan Gutierrez; Augustine Williams (Carson Klein 63’).
Substitutions not used: Adam Saldana, Sebastian Nava.
Head Coach: Junior Gonzalez
Referee: Ricardo Fierro
- LA Galaxy II fell to Phoenix Rising FC 4-1 on the road at Casino Arizona Field Saturday evening.
- LA Galaxy II secured a second place finish in Group B of the 2020 USL Standings.
- LA Galaxy II clinched a berth in the 2020 USL Championship Playoff earlier this week with a 3-1 win over Orange County SC on Wednesday.
- With the result, LA Galaxy II finish the regular season 8-6-2 with 26 points during the 2020 season (4-3-1 at home and 4-3-1 on the road).
- LA Galaxy II are 5-3-2 in their previous 10 games.
- Head Coach Junior Gonzalez holds a 15-11-6 record throughout his head coaching tenure with LA Galaxy II.
- Gonzalez had led Los Dos to the playoffs for the second-consecutive season.
- Forward Augustine Williams scored his 13th goal of the USL Championship season.
- Williams’ 13 goals are second most in all of USL Championship.
- In the revised USL 2020 schedule, the league’s clubs will play 263 games over 13 weeks to decide which 16 teams will advance to the 2020 USL Championship Playoffs, which will open in the second weekend of October.
- LA Galaxy II competed in the USL Championship Group B for the revised 2020 campaign alongside the following clubs: San Diego Loyal, Phoenix Rising FC, Las Vegas Lights FC and Orange County SC.
- For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.