Preview: LA Galaxy II vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 – Friday, April 22, 2016
Western Conference’s best sides set to square off
Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 at LA Galaxy II
StubHub Center – Carson, Calif.
Friday, April 22, 2016
2016 USL Regular Season
7:30 p.m. PT
The USL Western Conference’s top two sides, LA Galaxy II (2-0-3, 9 pts.) and Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 (2-0-1, 7 pts.), will face each other for the first time of the 2016 season at 7:30 p.m. PT on Friday, April 22 at StubHub Center. Tickets for the match are $10 and fans coming out will be treated to $2 tacos and $2 beer.
Click here to buy Los Dos tickets
After two shutout wins to start the season, Galaxy II have turned in three consecutive draws. In the last two, they’ve let slip 1-0 leads at home. After Jack McBean scored the opening goal in the team’s latest match against San Antonio FC, the visitors converted a free kick opportunity at the top of the box in the 89th minute.
McBean’s goal, however, made him the Western Conference’s leading goalscorer (4). In total, Los Dos have six different goal scorers this year, the most in the USL.
This year, Vancouver have played three games to LA’s five. They are one of four remaining unbeaten sides in the USL. They started the season with victories over Orange County Blues FC and Portland Timbers 2, while most recently drawing 0-0 with Sacramento Republic FC. Two players have accounted for the team’s four goals on the season: Kyle Greig (2) and Daniel Haber (2).
Last season was the team’s first season in the USL; they finished with an 8-14-6 record. In the 2015 regular season, Los Dos edged Vancouver 2-1 at StubHub Center in the two sides’ first-ever meeting and later defeated the Whitecaps 2-0 in Vancouver.
LA Galaxy II 1 | San Antonio FC 1: LA Galaxy II held a 1-0 lead at halftime after Jack McBean neatly put home a cross into the box from Josh Turnley. Los Dos looked to have the game wrapped up before a foul committed at the top of their own box in the 89th gave way to a free kick goal. It was the second straight game Los Dos lost the lead and ended the match with a 1-1 draw.
Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 0 | Sacramento Republic FC 0: The two then unbeaten sides played to a scoreless draw in Vancouver. Sacramento extended their 2016 shutout streak holding Vancouver to their first shutout of the 2016 season.
May 3, 2015: LA Galaxy II 2, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 1
June 14, 2015: Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 0, LA Galaxy II 2
LA Galaxy II: 14-11-3
Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2: 8-14-6
LA Galaxy II: 2-0-3
Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2: 2-0-1
Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 at LA Galaxy II – Friday, April 22
LA Galaxy II at Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 – Sunday, May 15
- LA Galaxy II leads the league in individual goal scorers (6). Ariel Lassiter (2), Jack McBean (4), Ryo Fujii, Ethan Zubak, Bryam Rebellon and Jose Villarreal have all scored for Los Dos in 2016.
- Defender Lee Nishanian was named USL Player of the Week for his efforts in last week’s match against San Antonio FC. It was Nishanian’s first time earning the honor. He’s started each game of the 2016 campaign.
- No team in the Western Conference has scored more than half the goals Los Dos have scored in 2016.
- Friday’s home match will be LA Galaxy II’s fifth of the season. They are 2-0-2 at home in 2016. Friday’s match is also the last of a three-game homestand for Los Dos.
- Los Dos’ super start in 2016 is significantly better than 2015. At this point last year, LA was 1-3-1.
- This game marks the start of a three-game road trip for Vancouver. They’ll travel to Swope Park Rangers on April 27 and Saint Louis FC on April 30.