LA Galaxy II (5-2-6, 21 points) earned a 2-2 draw over Sacramento Republic FC (4-4-4, 15 points) on Saturday night at Bonney Field in Sacramento, Calif. Two goals from each of the Villarreal brothers gave the team a crucial road point in a rematch with their Northern Californian rival.
After a scoreless first half, Republic FC opened the scoring in the 51st minute when defender Emrah Klimenta broke up the right wing and sent a curling out-swinging cross into the box. Midfielder Danny Barrera was left unmarked just in front of Los Dos keeper Clement Diop. Barrera sent a strong header to the near post, beating Diop for the 1-0 lead for Republic FC.
Los Dos responded shortly after in the 57th minute when Jose Villarreal found room to put in a cross to the box that found the head of his brother Jaime Villarreal. Villarreal finished the cross from point-blank range to give LA the equalizer.
LA Galaxy II kept the pressure on and scored just a minute later in the 58th when Jose Villarreal capitalized on a Republic FC backline mistake and made a move past the keeper at the top of the box and slotted home the open-net shot to give Los Dos the 2-1 advantage.
Republic FC found their equalizer in the 81st minute when defender James Kiffe received a beautiful ball out wide from midfielder Tommy Thompson. Kiffe used a well-timed cross fake to get space on the left wing before sending a left-footed cross into the box where second-half substitute Daniel Trickett-Smith found open space to send his header into the back of the net past Diop for the equalizer.
Next, LA Galaxy II return home for a rematch against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC. They first met on May 4th of this season when LA defeated Colorado Springs 3-2 behind a hat trick from Jack McBean, also at StubHub Center. The two sides will kick off at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, June 11 at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. For a full LA Galaxy II schedule visit www.lagalaxy.com/schedule/2.
SAC - Danny Barrera (Emrah Klimenta) 51'
LA – Jaime Villarreal (Jose Villarreal) 57'
LA – Jose Villarreal 58'
SAC – Daniel Trickett-Smith (Tommy Thompson) 85’
LA Galaxy II Starting XI: Clement Diop; Nathan Smith, Lee Nishanian (Jeffrey Payeras 61'), Dave Romney, Josh Turnley; Jose Villarreal, Jaime Villarreal, Ryo Fujii (Alejandro Covarrubias 61’), Raul Mendiola; Ethan Zubak (Oscar Sorto 69'), Jack McBean ©.
Substitutions not used: Bennett Sneddon, Adrian Vera, Bryam Rebellon, John Neeskens
- LA Galaxy II (5-2-5, 21 points) earned a 2-2 win over Sacramento Republic FC on Saturday night at Bonney Field in Sacramento, Calif.
- LA continue to lead USL in goals scored. They’ve scored 27 goals in 13 games.
- LA Galaxy players Clement Diop, Dave Romney, Jose Villarreal, Raul Mendiola and Oscar Sorto all featured in the 18-man roster Saturday night.
- Jose Villarreal has now scored five goals on the season for LA Galaxy II. He's the team's second-leading scorer.
- Next, LA Galaxy II return home for a rematch against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC. They first met on May 4 of this season when LA defeated Colorado Springs 3-2 behind a hat trick from Jack McBean, also at StubHub Center. The two sides will kick off at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, June 11 at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. For a full LA Galaxy II schedule visit www.lagalaxy.com/schedule/2.
- For a full LA Galaxy II schedule, visitwww.lagalaxy.com/2.