LINEUP CHANGE: Ethan Zubak replaces Chicharito in the LA Galaxy lineup as a precautionary measure due to a calf issue. Victor Vazquez will serve as captain.
- In net is England’s second-most famous J. Bond of all time: Jonathan Bond. He is having an MLS Best XI season.
- On the right is Julian Araujo, one of the most talented young right back players in the USMNT player pool. Araujo, and LA Galaxy Academy and LA Galaxy II product, makes his 45th career MLS appearance on Sunday against Sporting.
- Starting in the center of defense if SoCal native Nick DePuy, another LA Galaxy developmental product who signed with the first team from LA Galaxy II. DePuy has been a solid contributor since making his first team debut last year.
- Alongside DePuy is Sega Coulibaly in the center of defense. Sega has made three consecutive starts for the Galaxy since making his debut for the club on June 19.
- On the left is MLS veteran Jorge Villafaña, who has locked down the left back spot for the LA Galaxy this season, making nine starts, tied with Bond and Chicharito for the only three players to start every match this season.
- In the middle of the pitch, Rayan Raveloson (RYE-un RAV-oh-LEW-shun) makes his MLS and Galaxy debut. Raveloson signed with the club on May 20 after leading ES Troyes AC to the 2020-21 French Ligue 2 title.
- Next to Raveloson is USMNT veteran Sebastian Lletget, who is the longest-tenured Galaxy member in the lineup on Saturday. Lletget will look to control the middle vs. Sporting.
- Finishing off the three-man midfield is Victor Vazquez, one of the most influential signings this offseason for Vanney’s side. Vazquez makes his sixth start of the season for the Galaxy.
- Out wide is Kevin Cabral, who joined earlier this season as a Designated Player. The Frenchman registered his first career assist for the club in the 3-1 win over the San Jose Earthquakes on June 26. .
- On the other side of the attack is fellow Frenchman Samuel Grandsir, who also notched his first career assist for the club in the win over San Jose last week.
- Up top is Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez, who leads MLS in goals scored (10) after scoring a brace in the win over the Earthquakes on June 26.
- LA are 7-3-0 (21 pts) this season, sitting in third place in the Western Conference standings behind only second place Sporting KC (7-3-2, 23 pts) and first place Seattle Sounders FC (7-0-4, 25 pts).
- Sunday’s match marks the 64th MLS regular-season meeting between LA and SKC, with the Galaxy leading the series 25-23-15.
- Additionally, the Galaxy hold a 5-3-1 record in nine MLS postseason matches against SKC.
- In 72 combined MLS regular season and postseason matches between the two teams, the Galaxy lead the series 30-26-16.
- The Galaxy will wear their Community Kit for the fifth time this season in the match against SKC, with LA holding an undefeated record (4-0-0) in four games played in the jersey.
- Sunday’s match marks the 25th MLS regular-season match held on July 4 at Dignity Health Sports Park, with the Galaxy holding a 13-6-5 record on games played on Independence Day.
- In 30 MLS regular-season meetings at home against Sporting KC, LA holds a 16-7-7 record.
- In their last three meetings dating back to Oct. 6, 2018, LA holds a 2-0-1 record and has outscored SKC 10-3.
- The Galaxy are 4-1-0 in five MLS regular-season matches played at Dignity Health Sports Park in 2021.
- Chicharito leads MLS in goals scored (10) after tallying a brace in a 3-1 win over San Jose on June 26, 2021.
- Following the performance, Chicharito was named the MLS Player of the Week for the fourth time during the 2021 campaign.
- Notably, Chicharito leads MLS with 1.04 goals scored per 90 minutes played in league play this season amongst players that have played a minimum of 400 minutes in 2021. The next highest ranked player is Seattle’s Raúl Ruidíaz (0.82 goals per 90 minutes played).
- In his last appearance against Sporting KC, Sebastian Lletget tallied two goals and an assist in a 7-2 win over Kansas City at Dignity Health Sports Park on Sept. 15, 2019.
- In eight games played (7 starts) in league play against SKC, Lletget has tallied two goals and two assists.
- Both Kevin Cabral and Samuel Grandsir both tallied their first career assist for the Galaxy in the win over San Jose last week.
- Jonathan Bond is tied for the lead league in wins (7) amongst all MLS goalkeepers with New England’s Matt Turner.
- Bond is one of three players (Chicharito, Jorge Villafaña) to play and start all 10 of the Galaxy’s matches this year.
- Sacha Kljestan has tallied one goal and four assists in 12 career regular-season games played (10 starts) against Kansas City, dating back to 2006.
- Galaxy Head Coach Greg Vanney has a 0-2-3 record in five MLS regular-season games managed against SKC during his time as manager of Toronto FC (2015-20).
- Can Chicharito increase his MLS his league-lead in goals scored (10)?
- Can the Galaxy leapfrog SKC in the Western Conference standings?
- Who will win the coaching battle between former MLS players turned coaches (Vanney vs. Vermes)?
- Who does BBQ better… LA or Kansas City?
- Celebrating 1776: Fireworks will be on display after the match beginning approximately at 9:33 p.m. PT and ending at 9:43 p.m. PT.
- Match preview: https://www.lagalaxy.com/news/match-preview-presented-by-echo-outdoor-power-la-galaxy-vs-sporting-kansas-city-
- LA Galaxy forward Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 10: https://www.lagalaxy.com/news/la-galaxy-forward-javier-chicharito-hernandez-voted-mls-player-of-the-week-for-w
- Five LA Galaxy players called into respective National Team rosters for 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup: https://www.lagalaxy.com/news/five-la-galaxy-players-called-into-respective-national-team-rosters-for-2021-con
- LA Galaxy President Chris Klein to serve as co-chair of L.A. World Cup host committee: https://www.lagalaxy.com/news/la-galaxy-president-chris-klein-to-serve-as-co-chair-of-l-a-world-cup-host-commi
- LA Galaxy acquire $50,000 in General Allocation Money from Austin FC in exchange for the Discovery Rights to Moussa Djitté: https://www.lagalaxy.com/news/la-galaxy-acquire-50-000-in-general-allocation-money-from-austin-fc-in-exchange-