LA Galaxy II 2, Tulsa Roughnecks FC 0
Friday, June 24, 2016
2016 USL Regular Season
StubHub Center – Carson, Calif.
LA Galaxy II (5-2-8, 22 points) defeated Tulsa Roughnecks FC (2-9-2) 2-0 at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium in Carson, Calif. behind both Adonis Amaya and Alejandro Covarrubias’ first goals of the season.
Amaya opened the scoring in the 6th minute when his tenacious hustle put him in the perfect spot to take advantage of a lazy header back to Tulsa Roughnecks goalkeeper Alex Mangels. Amaya slipped into the passing lane just before it got to Mangels’ hands and flicked the ball over the keeper for the game’s opening goal.
The half ended 1-0. Los Dos applied more of the pressure in the first half; they finished the half with eight shots. Two super saves from goalkeeper Bennett Sneddon completed the first half shutout.
Just as they did in the first half, Los Dos wasted no time getting to goal when the second half started. LA pressure and possession put Jose Villarreal in a spot at the top of the box where he was able to earn a penalty kick for Los Dos on a hard body challenge from a Tulsa defender. Covarrubias took the penalty and successfully converted; it was his first goal of the season.
The Los Dos backline stood firm for the rest of the half and the match was sealed when Tulsa’s Gustavo Villalobos earned a red card in the 87th minute with a reckless challenge on Jose Villarreal. LA earned their fifth shutout of the season; it was Sneddon’s first clean sheet of the season.
Next, Los Dos are back at StubHub Center to take on Southern California rivals Orange County Blues FC. LA Galaxy II has faced Orange County once already this season: a 1-1 win back on April 8. For a full LA Galaxy II schedule visit www.lagalaxy.com/schedule/2.
LA – Adonis Amaya 7’, Alejandro Covarrubias (penalty kick) 47’
TUL – none
LA Galaxy II Starting XI: Bennett Sneddon; Josh Turnley, Jeff Payeras, Lee Nishanian, Oscar Sorto; Alejandro Covarrubias, Jose Villarreal, Jaime Villarreal, Bryam Rebellon, Adonis Amaya (Ryo Fujii 64’), Raul Mendiola ©.
Substitutions not used: Nathan Smith, Eric Lopez
- LA Galaxy II (6-2-8, 26 points) defeated Tulsa Roughnecks FC (2-10-2, 8 points) 2-0 at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium in Carson, Calif.
- LA Galaxy II earned their fifth shutout of the season on Friday night. It was Bennett Sneddon’s first shutout of the season.
- Jaime Villarreal is the only player on Los Dos to have featured in each match of the 2016 season (16).
- Adonis Amaya and Alejandro Covarrubias both scored their first goals of the season for LA Galaxy II.
- Los Dos are 5-1-4 at StubHub Center in 2016. Tulsa Roughnecks FC are 1-5-1 on the road.
- Tulsa Roughnecks FC have allowed more goals than any USL team (22). They are the Western Conference’s last-place team (8 points).
- Los Dos lead the USL in goals scored (31).
- With the win, LA Galaxy II jump to second in the Western Conference with 26 points. They sit two points behind Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 (8-2-4, 28 points).
- Forward Jack McBean was signed to LA Galaxy on Wednesday, June 22. McBean is currently the USL’s leading scorer (12 goals). In 2016, he co-leads Los Dos with two assists.
- McBean leads LA Galaxy II with 12 goals. McBean, Jose Villarreal, Jaime Villarreal, Josh Turnley and Raul Mendiola co-lead the team with two assists each.
- Next, Los Dos are back at StubHub Center to take on Southern California rivals Orange County Blues FC. LA Galaxy II has faced Orange County once already this season: a 1-1 win back on April 8. For a full LA Galaxy II schedule visit www.lagalaxy.com/schedule/2.