LA Galaxy II 4, Portland Timbers 2 1
Saturday, July 16, 2016
2016 USL Regular Season
LA Galaxy II (8-2-8, 32 points) rolled in a 4-1 defeat of Portland Timbers 2 (5-10-3, 18 points) in the two sides’ first matchup of the 2016 season behind goals from Lee Nishanian, Bryam Rebellon, Raul Mendiola and Jack McBean. It was Los Dos' third straight win and the three points they earned brings them into a tie for first place in the Western Conference with Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2.
Two successfully converted set pieces from Los Dos early in the first half largely set the tone for the game. LA Galaxy II took the lead quickly when a Josh Turnley cross found the head of Nishanian in the 6th minute. Not too long after, a swinging ball on a set piece near the corner flag taken by Jose Villarreal was met by Rebellon, who put the ball cleanly to the opposite side netting in the 18th minute.
Portland would pull one back in the 35th minute, but LA quickly regained a two-goal lead when forward Adonis Amaya threaded the needle on a diagonal through ball from the middle of the field to Mendiola, who would slot home his first goal of the season near post. LA would close the half with a 3-1 lead.
Five second half substitutions helped to close the game out for Galaxy II, most notably when substitute Bradford Jamieson IV created space on the left flank in the 75th minute before putting a cross in the box to McBean, who took advantage of poor marking and put home his 14th goal of the 2016 season.
Galaxy II are now unbeaten in their last eight games, tied for their longest unbeaten streak of the season. Next, Los Dos are on the road again when they head to Texas to take on San Antonio FC on Saturday, July 23 at 5:30 p.m. at Toyota Field. For a full LA Galaxy II schedule, visit www.lagalaxy.com/schedule/2.
LA – Lee Nishanian 6' (Assisted by Josh Turnley), Bryam Rebellon 18' (Assisted by Jose Villarreal), Raul Mendiola 39' (Assisted by Adonis Amaya), Jack McBean 75' (Assisted by Bradford Jamieson IV)
T2 – Rennico Clarke 35' (Assisted by Neco Brett)
LA Galaxy II: Clement Diop; Josh Turley, Hugo Arellano (Jeffrey Payeras 85'), Lee Nishanian, Nathan Smith; Bryam Rebellon, Jaime Villarreal (Ryo Fujii 80'), Raul Mendiola (Alejandro Covarrubias 45'), Jose Villarreal (Ethan Zubak 67'); Jack McBean, Adonis Amaya (Bradford Jamieson IV 60').
Substitutions not used: Bennett Sneddon, Oscar Sorto
- LA Galaxy II (8-2-8, 32 points) rolled in a 4-1 defeat of Portland Timbers 2 (5-10-3, 18 points) on the afternoon of Saturday, July 16 in Portland.
- LA Galaxy II are now on a three game win streak and an eight game unbeaten streak.
- Lee Nishanian scored his first goal of the season on a corner from Josh Turnley.
- Bryam Rebellon scored his second goal of the season on a set piece from Jose Villarreal.
- Raul Mendiola scored his first goal of the season for Los Dos on Adonis Amaya's first assist of the season.
- Jack McBean scored his 14th goal of the 2016 USL season on an assist from Bradford Jamieson IV. McBean's 14 goals on the season leads the USL.
- Jaime Villarreal is the only player on Los Dos to have featured in each match of the 2016 season (18).
- 14 players have scored for LA Galaxy II in 2016. That’s the most in the Western Conference.
- Adonis Amaya has scored or assisted in three consecutive starts for Los Dos.
- Los Dos are 2-1-4 on the road in 2016.
- Los Dos lead the USL in goals scored (37).
Next, Los Dos are on the road again when they head to Texas to take on San Antonio FC on Saturday, July 23 at 5:30 p.m. at Toyota Field. For a full LA Galaxy II schedule, visit www.lagalaxy.com/schedule/2 .