LA Galaxy II Postgame Notes
LA Galaxy II 0, Orange County Blues FC 2
Anteater Stadium – Irvine, California
Saturday, August 20, 2016
2016 USL Regular Season
LA Galaxy II (9-5-9, 36 points) fell to Orange County Blues FC Saturday night on the road at Anteater Stadium in the two sides’ fourth meeting of the season. On the year, Los Dos have now gone 1-2-1 against their Southern California Rivals.
In their four matchups this year, Orange County has combined to outscore LA 6-3 in those games. On Saturday night, Richard Chaplow and Mats Bjurman found the back of the net to give the Blues three points over Galaxy II.
Los Dos were put in a difficult situation early on, as an injury to goalkeeper Bennett Sneddon forced substitute Eric Lopez to enter the match in addition to LA Galaxy II finding themselves down a man after defender Hugo Arellano was sent off in the 27th minute.
OC Blues FC capitalized on the opportunity just minutes before halftime when former English Premier League midfielder Richard Chaplow scored to put Orange County up a goal in the 42nd minute. Chaplow found space for himself at the top of the six-yard box before slotting home a one-touch, left-footed shot past Lopez to open the score.
Los Dos entered halftime down 1-0 but found hope in the second half when OC Blues FC saw their side reduced to 10 men in the 67th minute after Oriel Cortes was sent off to level the two sides at 10 men each. However, the home side found the next goal when they doubled the score in the 74th minute with a low-driving ball that found its way past Lopez to make the score 2-0.
Los Dos pressed on to find the scoreboard as things got testy late in the match, but were unable to answer. Forward Ariel Lassiter provided several chances for the visitors, who will look to bounce back with another road match in a week’s time.
Saturday marked the second of a five-game road stretch for Galaxy II, with Los Dos earning a 0-0 draw on the road against OKC Energy FC in their first match of the road series.
Next, Los Dos are on the road again to take on Sporting Park Rangers at Children’s Mercy Victory Field at Swope Soccer Village in Kansas City, Mo. on Saturday, August 27 at 5:30 p.m. PT. For a full LA Galaxy II schedule, visit www.lagalaxy.com/schedule/2.
OC – Richard Chaplow 42’
OC – Mats Bjurman 74’
LA Galaxy II: Bennett Sneddon; Oscar Sorto, Lee Nishanian, Hugo Arellano, Robbie Rogers; Raul Mendiola, Jaime Villarreal, Alejandro Covarrubias, Bradford Jamieson IV; Jose Villarreal ©, Ariel Lassiter.
Bench: Eric Lopez, Nathan Smith, Ryo Fujii, Adrian Vera, Ethan Zubak, Bryam Rebellon, Jefrey Payeras.
- LA Galaxy II are winless in their last four matches. This season, they’ve gone 1-2-1 against OC Blues FC.
- Of the six OC Blues FC goals scored in games against LA Galaxy II this season, three have been scored by Blues forward Trevin Caesar
- LA Galaxy defender Robbie Rogers earned a start Saturday. Rogers played his first minutes since recovering from an ankle surgery this summer.
- Galaxy Academy product Bennett Sneddon earned the start as Clement Diop made his first MLS start Saturday in NYC for the Galaxy against NYCFC.
- Eight of the Galaxy’s 11 starters were products of the LA Galaxy Academy.
- 14 players have scored for LA Galaxy II in 2016, the most of any Western Conference team.
- Los Dos are now 3-2-5 on the road in 2016. OC Blues are now 6-4-2 at home.
- Los Dos lead the Western Conference in goals scored (43). McBean leads LA Galaxy II with 15 goals. Jaime Villarreal leads the team with four assists.
- Adonis Amaya served the second half of a two-game suspension for a red card earned in the team’s last home match against Portland Timbers 2 on Aug. 6.
- Next, Los Dos are on the road again to take on Sporting Park Rangers at Children’s Mercy Victory Field at Swope Soccer Village in Kansas City, Mo. on Saturday, August 27 at 5:30 p.m. PT. For a full LA Galaxy II schedule, visit www.lagalaxy.com/schedule/2.
2016 LA Galaxy II Mini Season Plan Ticket Packages for the remainder of the 2016 USL season are available for purchase now. Fans should visit https://lagalaxy.formstack.com/forms/galaxy_2_mini_plan to secure their seats or call 877-3GALAXY (342-5299). For single-game tickets, visit www.lagalaxy.com/schedule/2.