LOS ANGELES (Saturday, March 25, 2017) – LA Galaxy II (1-0-0, 3 points) defeated Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 (0-1-0, 0 points) by a score of 2-0 on Saturday afternoon at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. After an own goal put Los Dos out in front early, a second-half goal from Ethan Zubak sealed the match for Los Dos, giving the club their first win of the 2017 season.
The match started with a bit of fortune for Los Dos, when in the 5th minute, Baggio Husidic lofted a ball over the top of the defense looking to find forward Ethan Zubak. Vancouver defender Sam de Wit was in position to deal with the pass, though, and headed the ball back to his ‘keeper. But the ball went right through VWFC2 goalkeeper Spencer Richey’s legs, putting LA Galaxy II on the board.
Despite a heavy amount of pressure from Vancouver towards the end of the first half, Los Dos managed to enter the break with a 1-0 lead.
Los Dos regrouped at halftime and began to impose on the Vancouver defense right away. In the 67th minute, Bradford Jamieson IV beat his defender to the touchline just inside the penalty area and slid the ball perfectly to a waiting Zubak in front of the net. Zubak easily finished, doubling the Los Dos lead.
LA Galaxy II cleanly closed out the match, earning their first shutout and win of the season.
LA – Own goal 5’ (Sam de Wit)
LA – Ethan Zubak 67’ (Assisted by Bradford Jamieson IV)
LA – Adonis Amaya 20’
VAN – Christian Dean 31’
LA – Hugo Arellano 64’
LA – Baggio Husidic 76’
LA – Justin Dhillon 90+2’
LA Galaxy II: Jon Kempin; Tyler Turner (Ryo Fujii 56’), Jean Engola, Hugo Arellano, Ian Lonergan; Miguel Aguilar (Adrian Vera 34’) Baggio Husidic, Jaime Villarreal, Bradford Jamieson IV; Adonis Amaya (Justin Dhillon 74’), Ethan Zubak
Substitutions not used: Andre Zanga, Ryo Fujii, Jake Arteaga, Eric Lopez, Bennett Sneddon
LA: GOALS: 2 | SHOTS: 6 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 5 | OFFSIDES: 0 | CORNERS: 3 | SAVES: 3
VAN: GOALS: 0 | SHOTS: 10 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 5 | OFFSIDES: 1 | CORNERS: 7 | SAVES: 5
· LA Galaxy II (1-0-0, 3 points) defeated Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 (0-1-0, 0 points) on Saturday, March 25 at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium.
· New LA Galaxy II Head Coach Mike Muñoz earns a win in his first game as manager for Los Dos.
· LA Galaxy II got on the board with a Vancouver own goal in the 5th minute.
· Ethan Zubak supplied insurance to his side in the 67th minute after Bradford Jamieson worked his way to the touchline and found the feet of Zubak in the six-yard box. Zubak scored two goals in 22 appearances for Los Dos in 2016.
· LA Galaxy II start the season with a shutout after recording seven shutouts in 2016. Jon Kempin collects the shutout in his debut with Los Dos.
· Six players made their debut for LA Galaxy II on Saturday afternoon: Jon Kempin, Ian Lonergan, Jean Engola, Tyler Turner and Miguel Aguilar all started while Justin Dhillon was subbed on in the 74th minute.
· Aguilar was subbed off his debut after being injured on a hard foul in the 34th minute.
· LA Galaxy Academy’s Ian Lonergan made his first-ever start for a professional team, after being selected by Muñoz to start the match at left back for Los Dos.
· LA Galaxy II finished the 2016 USL Regular Season 12-7-11 (47 points).
· In 2016, they led the USL Western Conference in goals scored (59).
· Former LA Galaxy II Head Coach Curt Onalfo was named LA Galaxy Head Coach on Dec. 13, 2016. Mike Muñoz was named LA Galaxy II Head Coach on Jan. 12, 2017.
· Next, LA Galaxy II travel to the Lone Star State to face San Antonio FC at 5:30 p.m. PT on Saturday, April 1 at Toyota Field.
· For a full LA Galaxy II schedule, click here.