LA Galaxy II Postgame Notes
LA Galaxy II 1, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
Sunday, Aug. 27, 2017 – 3 p.m. PT
2017 USL Regular Season
McLeod Athletic Park – British Columbia, Canada
LOS ANGELES (Sunday, Aug. 27, 2017) – LA Galaxy II (6-13-4, 22 points) fell 2-1 to Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 (5-13-7, 22 points) on Sunday afternoon at McLeod Athletic Park in British Columbia, Canada. LA Galaxy Academy product Eric Lopez made a career high eight saves in the match, while Ethan Zubak netted his third goal of the season.
LA Galaxy II found themselves behind the eight ball early, conceding in the first five minutes to VWFC2. LA Galaxy’s Hugo Arellano attempted to clear with a header, only sending the ball high in the air over the penalty area. Vancouver was able to settle the ball, with David Norman eventually making the short pass back to set up Terran Campbell for the score.
Los Dos were able to respond inside the first half, getting a goal in the 24th minute. The Galaxy scored less than 15 seconds after a goal kick of their own, as Jack McBean held up play, laid off to Adrian Vera, who played through to a wide-open Ethan Zubak. Zubak carried the ball the final 25 yards without the threat of a defender, putting home a cool, bending right-footed goal.
VWFC2 were able to have the last say though, when a blocked shot rebounded kindly to the feet of Gloire Amanda, catching Los Dos off guard and sealing the victory for Vancouver.
Los Dos will now return to Los Angeles for a three game home stand, with intentions of mounting a last-chance charge for the postseason. That chase begins at 6:30 p.m. PT on Sunday, Sept. 3 when LA Galaxy II face Rio Grande Valley FC at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. Tickets to the match are available for purchase here.
VAN – Terran Campbell 4’ (Assisted by David Norman)
LA – Ethan Zubak 24’ (Assisted by Adrian Vera, Jack McBean)
VAN – Gloire Amanda 83’
VAN – David Norman 53’
LA – Alejandro Covarrubias 88’
Lineup: Eric Lopez; Hugo Arellano, Jake Arteaga, Jefrey Payeras, Zico Bailey (Jonah Estrada 90’+1’); Jonathan Hernandez (Ryo Fujii 56’), Jaime Villarreal, Alejandro Covarrubias, Adrian Vera; Jack McBean, Ethan Zubak
Substitutions not used: Robert Castellanos, Andre Zanga, Bennett Sneddon, Miguel Aguilar, Tyler Tuner
VAN: SHOTS: 19 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 10 | FOULS: 14 | OFFSIDES: 1 | CORNERS: 10 | SAVES: 3
LA: SHOTS: 14 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 5 | FOULS: 11 | OFFSIDES: 2 | CORNERS: 11 | SAVES: 8
Head Referee: Michelle Pye
- LA Galaxy II (6-13-4, 22 points) fell 2-1 to Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 (5-13-7, 22 points) on Sunday afternoon at McLeod Athletic Park in British Columbia, Canada.
- LA Galaxy II are now 4-6-1 on the road in 2017. VWFC2 are 3-4-4 at home.
- Ethan Zubak scored his 3rd goal of the season.
- LA Galaxy II have suffered two losses in their last seven contests.
- The Los Dos defense has allowed only five goals in their last four matches.
- Justin Dhillon (6) and Adrian Vera (5) lead the team in goals this season.
- Ethan Zubak leads the team with 3 assists.
- Next, Los Dos return home for a three-game homestand that begins at 6:30 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 3 when LA Galaxy II face Rio Grande Valley FC at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium.