He promised he would perform in El Trafico on Friday, and Zlatan Ibrahimovic delivered, scoring a hat trick as the LA Galaxy defeated LAFC 3-2 at Dignity Health Sports Park.
The game, the fourth all-time between the Los Angeles teams, maintains LA's unbeaten run (2-0-2) against their new neighbors. The teams will play again on Aug. 25, at Banc of California Stadium.
The game started off with a bang. Carlos Vela drew a penalty from David Bingham in the opening minutes, and converted the spot kick himself in the 4th minute. But Zlatan Ibrahimovichad an answer himself, as he played a sombrero on two LAFC defenders, then blasted home a lob to beat Tyler Miller in the 8th minute to make it 1-1.
From there, the Galaxy controlled the run of play and the game grew increasingly chippy. Ibrahimovic scored his second of the night in the 56th minute, heading in Diego Polenta's cross at the far post to give the home side the lead. He then completed his hat trick by dribbling upfield after a feed from Favio Alvarez and unleashing a low shot from distance to pad the Galaxy's lead.
Vela scored his second goal in the 97th minute, but it was too little, too late as the Galaxy took all three points.
- 4' – LAFC – Carlos Vela | WATCH
- 8' – LA – Zlatan Ibrahimovic | WATCH
- 56' – LA – Zlatan Ibrahimovic | WATCH
- 70' – LA – Zlatan Ibrahimovic | WATCH
- 90+7' – LAFC – Carlos Vela | WATCH
- LA: Tuesday, July 23 vs. Club Tijuana (11 pm ET | ESPN, UDN in US; TSN1/4 in Canada) | Leagues Cup
- LAFC: Friday, July 26 vs. Atlanta United (10 pm ET | ESPN in US; TSN2 in Canada)