- The LA Galaxy will end their toughest road stretch of the season this weekend in Washington, D.C., taking on D.C. United for a third-straight, nationally-televised match on the Fox Sports network.
- Guillermo Barros Schelotto’s lineup this weekend gets stronger as Zlatan Ibrahimović and Diego Polenta return from suspension, along with the addition of the Galaxy’s newest addition: Cristian Pavón. Rounding out the list of changes is the return of Daniel Steres into the starting lineup.
- U.S. goalkeeper David Bingham starts his 58th straight MLS game in the net since joining the Galaxy. It will make his 153rd career start in Major League Soccer. Bingham is second in MLS in saves this year with 98. Bill Hamid leads with 99.
- At right back is Rolf Feltscher, the veteran Venezuela international will mark his 16th start of the year.
- Daniel Steres is back in central defense after sitting out a week to coach’s decision. He has made 22 starts so far this season. With three goals, he’s the LA Galaxy’s second-leading goal scorer.
- Pura Vida! Giancarlo Gonzalez continues in the center of defense after becoming an anchor in the backline. He has proven why he was one of the top central defenders in MLS when he played for Columbus in 2014 ahead of signing in Italy’s Serie A.
- On the left is Diego Polenta, who returns to the XI after serving his one-game suspension from a red card in the LA Galaxy’s loss to Portland on July 27.
- MLS All-Star midfielder Jonathan dos Santos will be the key to the Galaxy’s success on Sunday. Earlier this season, Zlatan Ibrahimović called JDS the “motor” of this team.
- U.S. midfielder Perry Kitchen makes a second consecutive start since returning from a groin injury last month. Kitchen has made five starts this season and 187 in his MLS career.
- Rounding out the midfield mix is Favio Alvarez, the Argentine who played a role in recruiting former academy teammate Pavón to the LA Galaxy. Alvarez has two goals and two assists in 11 starts this season.
- Winger Uriel Antuna, usually on the left, will be moved to the right side of the field this weekend. The right-footed Mexican is making his 21st start of the season. He’s recorded two goals and two assists for the Galaxy in 2019.
- On the left with be the new guy, Cristian Pavón, making his LA Galaxy and MLS debut. After his first day or training with the Galaxy on Thursday, Pavón will be slotted into Sunday’s starting lineup. Pavón will operate in the winger role on the left side of the field, a position he saw success under Guillermo Barros Schelotto’s managerial spell at Boca Juniors, and a position he said he was most comfortable playing in at his introductory press conference in Los Angeles on Thursday.
- Up top. The Ferrari. The Lion. Zlatan Ibrahimović. He loves the big stage.
- The LA Galaxy (12-10-1, 37 points) have lost to D.C. United only once in their last 14 meetings.
- This year on the road, the Galaxy are 4-6-1.
- On the road, LA have tallied 10 goals while conceding 18 goals.
- The Galaxy are 10-1-0 this season when scoring the game’s opening goal, and 2-9-0 when conceding first.
- When leading at halftime, LA are 6-2-0. They are 6-2-1 when tied at halftime.
- Can the LA Galaxy shake off the stink from road losses to Portland Timbers and Atlanta United FC?
- Zlatan & Pavón. Just how exciting will these two be together?
- How does Zlatan fare in his return from suspension?
- Is a historic debut ahead for Cristian Pavón?
- The Galaxy have conceded nine goals in their last three games. Can the defense turn it around?
- Match preview: https://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2019/08/09/match-preview-presented-welchs-fruit-snacks-la-galaxy-face-against-wayne-rooney-led
- LA Galaxy acquire forward Christian Pavón:https://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2019/08/08/la-galaxy-acquire-forward-cristian-pav-n
- Dennis te Kloese on how the deal got done:https://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2019/08/09/how-la-galaxy-signed-cristian-pav-n?autoplay=true
- #BravoPavon: https://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2019/08/07/bravopavon?autoplay=true
(as conducted by Christian Pavón)