The Seattle Sounders held off a spirited second-half rally from the LA Galaxy to edge their Western Conference rivals 4-3 in a wild shootout at CenturyLink Field on Sunday, riding a Cristian Roldan brace, the second of which arrived as the game-winner in the 89th minute.
Twice the hosts took the lead, and twice they were pegged back by a dogged but defensively flawed Galaxy side, with Raul Ruidiaz opening the scoring just before halftime and Roldan bagging his first early in the second stanza only for Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Uriel Antuna to carve open the Rave Green back line with relative ease to level matters.
Jordan Morris, who held Antuna onside just before LA's second, finished a breakaway to restore Seattle's lead, but Jorgen Skjelvik roamed forward to equalize with his first Galaxy goal. With the Sounders in danger of throwing away so much of their hard work, Roldan conjured up another strike to cap a wild afternoon under the Cascadia sunshine.
- 45+2' – SEA – Raul Ruidiaz | WATCH
- 55' – SEA – Cristian Roldan | WATCH
- 66' – LA – Zlatan Ibrahimovic | WATCH
- 75' – LA – Uriel Antuna | WATCH
- 77' – SEA – Jordan Morris | WATCH
- 81' – LA – Jorgen Skjelvik | WATCH
- 89' – SEA – Cristian Roldan
- LA: Wednesday, Sept. 11 at Colorado Rapids (9 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US; TSN5 in Canada)